A Job Board Dedicated for In-House Counsel
A Job Board Dedicated for In-House Counsel
📍Kitchener, ON / Toronto, ON
⏱Posted: July 19, 2021
Job Description / Apply
We’re building a movement - an education revolution.
We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, but we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
We’re building a movement - an education revolution. We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
A unique opportunity to support building and shaping the Office of General Counsel / Legal Department and our associated cross-functional team at ApplyBoard, reporting to the General Counsel. The role will lead processes and initiatives to ensure legislative compliance and risk management so that ApplyBoard can continue to innovate and create the best experience for international students on our mission to educate the world.
What you will do every day:
- Confidently draft partnership, customer and vendor agreements, product terms and conditions and company policies and procedures in support of ApplyBoard’s emerging business needs.
- Be a key team player and leader for privacy and data protection and resource to ApplyBoard’s Information Governance Committee.
- Act as a champion of enterprise risk management and compliance initiatives led by the Office of General Counsel and/or Finance.
- Support ApplyBoard’s internal stakeholders with real time creative problem solving.
What you bring to the table:
- Legal Counsel with 3-6 years of experience in a large firm environment, with significant commercial and/or corporate drafting experience as an asset.
- Privacy and data governance experience would be an asset.
- Previous in-house experience in technology and/or financial services would be an asset.
- Collaborative style and desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and a proactive approach to creative problem solving.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team based in Waterloo and Toronto
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard, however, only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to:
Join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement
Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 500 team members based in 18 countries, who represent over 30 nationalities and speak more than 40 languages
Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities
Want to learn more about Life at ApplyBoard? Check out this video, and be sure to follow us on our Life at ApplyBoard Instagram.
ApplyBoard simplifies the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions on one platform. To date, ApplyBoard has become the world’s largest online platform for international student recruitment, assisting more than 100,000 students with their educational journey.
In 2019, ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list. In May 2020, ApplyBoard announced a C$100M Series C funding on a C$2B valuation, reaching a ‘Unicorn’ status. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world.
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we provide equal opportunity to applicants regardless of race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction.
If you require an accommodation to submit an application and/or during the interview process, please notify the Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected] Requests will be addressed confidentially.
In-House Legal Counsel
⏱Posted: July 8, 2021
Job Description / Apply
Evanov Communications (ECI) is one of Canada’s few independent radio broadcasters. Started in 1984, we are a young, dynamic and aggressive company. Although comparatively small in the broadcasting landscape, in an era of consolidation and cross-media ownership, we are a competitive force in the areas we are licensed to serve. We currently operate 16 radio stations across Canada, and continue to be one of the industry’s prominent independent leaders.
We are seeking a talented and motivated lawyer to join our legal department. Reporting to the General Counsel, the person in this role will handle a wide range of legal and regulatory matters for ECI, including:
- employment matters;
- commercial contracts,
- leases and licensing agreements;
- advertising and contest regulations;
- civil litigation, including collections files;
- copyright issues;
- complaints to regulators, such as the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC); and
- various other legal and administrative matters that may arise from time to time.
- A minimum of 1 to 3 years of post-call experience in a law firm and/or in-house position
- Successful completion of a Bachelor of Law (LL.B), Juris Doctor (J.D.) or equivalent law degree, and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Strong analytic, communication and organizational abilities
- Sound business judgment, with the flexibility and adaptability to manage multiple, wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and resolve legal issues quickly and effectively, in a positive and practical manner
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Teamwork-oriented attitude
- Must be willing to work out of ECI’s Head Office in Toronto, Ontario
- Previous experience with and knowledge of employment law is preferred
- Ability to speak and write in French is an asset
To apply, please submit the following to Allison Worone, General Counsel ([email protected]): cover letter, resume/CV, salary expectations, transcripts, and a writing sample.
ECI is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. If you require accommodation during the application, interview and/or hiring process, please let us know. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Legal Counsel II Media Law
📍Montreal, QC / Toronto, ON
⏱Posted: June 28, 2021
Job Description / Apply
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Member of the Quebec Bar Association (if based in Montreal) or the Ontario Bar Association (if based in Toronto) for approximately 5 years
- Experience practicing media, defamation, litigation and/or copyright law (asset)
- Solid computer skills
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Fluent in French (spoken and written)
- Excellent interpersonal skills: tact and diplomacy
- Efficient; good judgment skills; solid communication skills
- Discretion to perform all duties with complete confidentiality
Mandatory: Please include a cover letter, outlining your interest with your application.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Legal Counsel (Parental Leave, 12 Month Contract)
⏱Posted: June 24, 2021
Job Description / Apply
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
Legal Counsel (Parental Leave Position – 12 Month Contract)
About your role
In this hands-on role, reporting to the General Counsel, the incumbent will:
- Negotiate and draft a wide variety of legal agreements touching on the areas of: professional services, data collection and sharing, technology, intellectual property, marketing, sponsorship, government grants, corporate governance, charity matters and contests/submission processes
- Initiate, research and prepare legal presentations, reports and other key documents
- Work alongside internal business units, advise and train on legal and business risk and liabilities associated with contracts, proposals and other initiatives
- Develop a strong understanding of the business of MaRS in order to function as a business partner that can advance organizational strategy and achieve goals
- Anticipate and research legal and regulatory issues that may impact MaRS and assist in the development of practical strategies to address these issues
- Collaborate with a legal team comprised of the General Counsel and a Legal Coordinator
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 4-6 years of post-call legal experience gained in private practice and/or in-house
- A capacity to draft high quality legal documents with excellent attention to detail and the ability to understand the big picture
- Superior analytical and interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Demonstrated experience working with a variety of unique commercial contracts and in providing practical regulatory guidance
- Knowledge and understanding of corporate/commercial law, privacy law, procurement, CASL, intellectual property and advertising law, and not-for-profit and charity law
- The ability to thrive in a high-pressure, time-sensitive, entrepreneurial environment
- The ability to multitask multiple projects in parallel, work independently and self-prioritize
- A drive to provide practical legal advice to manage risk while ensuring deals are closed
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Applications are due by Sunday July 4, 2021.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.
🏢Insurance Bureau of Canada
⏱Posted: June 18, 2021
Job Description / Apply
Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association for the private property and casualty insurance in Canada. IBC has regional offices in Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver, with its head office located in Toronto.
Led by Vice-President & General Counsel, IBC's legal team is responsible for providing legal advice and supporting a diverse group of internal clients, regional offices and to its members.
The Director, Legal will have responsibility on a broad range of issues relating to IBC and to its members, including working with members on regulatory, market conduct compliance and privacy issues, and providing legal and business advice on IBC's corporate compliance obligations.
- Provide sound, timely legal advice and support to senior management and internal client groups across the organization
- Coordinate activities of IBC's Regulation Standing Committee on national regulatory matters
- Actively participate in the Privacy Working Group on national privacy issues and consultations
- Actively participate in the Market Conduct Working Group on provincial market conduct matters and consultations
- Organize the annual Regulatory Affairs Symposium
- Ambassador for IBC's vision, mandate and objectives and uses that understanding to advance business and operational objectives and to carry out effective member and stakeholder relations strategies
- Provides legal advice to members on regulatory, compliance and privacy issues and their potential impact on IBC members
- Respond to governments and external stakeholders respecting IBC's position on issues
Experience and Qualifications
- Member of the Bar of a Canadian province or territory.
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years of progressive experience in a legal or corporate environment.
- Ability to work independently or in team environment.
- Adapts quickly to the complexities of a member-based organization with multiple accountabilities.
- Detailed knowledge of property and casualty insurance.
- Significant experience in insurance company regulatory and market conduct law.
- Significant experience with privacy and corporate commercial laws across Canada.
- Exceptional writing skills and demonstrated ability to produce a wide variety of communications material.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills at management level.
- Strong strategic thinking and presentation skills.
- Understanding of trade associations and their relationship to government and other stakeholders.
- Bilingualism (French & English) an asset.
Please send résumé to:
Human Resources Department
Contact: Azan Khan
E-mail: [email protected]
IBC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
This position qualifies under the Employee Referral Program. IBC is an equal opportunity employer.
⏱Posted: June 4, 2021
Job Description / Apply
CoinSmart is on a mission to make cryptocurrency accessible. Breaking down the barriers of complex and confusing crypto transactions, CoinSmart offers simple solutions, learning tools for all levels, and 24/7 client support.
If you have a passion for fintech, cryptocurrency, legal, financial regulatory matters and want to help promote the company’s growth through providing legal counsel to all business lines, you’ve come to the right place. We are seeking for an experienced legal professional and leader to join the CoinSmart team as we build a scalable cryptocurrency platform developed with compliance and security in mind. This is a full time position in Toronto, Ontario. The role will work collaboratively with our local Compliance, Marketing, Support, Product, Operations and Finance teams, as well as with remote team members and stakeholders. You will help us put legal needs first to meet business objectives and requirements.
What You’ll Do
- Research, analyze, and provide practical advice to cross-functional teams and leadership on complex legal, privacy, data governance and compliance matters related to new and existing regulatory requirements, corporate governance issues, contract and product terms and intellectual property and regulatory matters;
- Work closely with leadership to support the company’s strategic growth and compliance requirements and serve as the legal business partner to all internal teams;
- Provide transactional and advisory M&A legal support to various stakeholders;
- Manage and direct outside counsel with efficiency and sound judgment;
- Support communication between the company’s corporate management team and its investors.
More specific responsibilities include
- Draft, review, update , and negotiate foundational documents for products and services (e.g., customer agreements, terms of service, regulatory disclosures, etc.), as well as partnership agreements with financial institutions, networks, and third-party service providers of financial products, oversee the management of all company legal templates and policies;
- Participate as a core member of project teams, and assist with the end-to-end design of innovative financial products to ensure a compliant but competitive end result;
- Review multi-channel advertising materials for compliance with laws and best practices;
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact the fintech’s financial product and services, and assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions;
- Design and implement the legal strategy for the company;
- Collaborate closely with the compliance department and senior leadership to design, develop, and maintain processes and procedures
Requirements and Qualifications
- A J.D. or LL.B degree, and membership in good standing with the [Ontario] bar;
- 5+ years of legal experience in a law firm or in-house at a high growth, fast-paced and scaling startup or technology company, preferably advising clients within FinTech and/or a regulated industry;
- Prior experience with in blockchain, cryptocurrency, fund investments, venture capital financing, go public strategy, and/or M&A would be assets;
- Ability to analyze risks, evaluate legal issues, and provide concise and practical written advice to business leads (i.e., non-legal) particularly with respect to emerging products and services;
- Ability to develop creative and adaptive solutions to unique and complex product design inquiries
- Excellent communication and drafting skills with an emphasis on attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, handle ambiguity and shifting priorities.
- Relevant industry or cryptocurrency experience would be a strong asset
- Natural curiosity and drive to solve challenges – You know how to work closely with customers to understand their challenges and use that knowledge to drive technological solutions and internal processes.
- Collaboration skills – You use different tools to make connections and nurture open communication. Through effective leadership and empowerment, you can gain trust, influence decisions, and motivate individuals and teams.
Why You Want to Join the CoinSmart Team
- We’re a hard working team of engineers, marketers, designers, finance and operations professionals with diverse backgrounds and industry experience.
- We have an open door policy and pride ourselves on collaborative communication.
- We’ve made it super simple to buy, sell and trade cryptocurrency, ensuring our clients have all of the support and educational resources they need to feel comfortable and confident investing with us.
- In less than 3 years, we’ve become one of the largest, FINTRAC regulated exchanges in Canada. We’re in the process of expanding to Europe and the U.S. and this is just the beginning!
- At CoinSmart, we work hard and run fast but always ensure we’re having fun along the way.
- Health benefits – medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Competitive salary
- Regular team building activities and events
CoinSmart is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants
To apply for this position please email [email protected] your resume and cover letter. Please include the job title in the subject line. We will get in touch with you shortly. Thank you!
- Job posting is hosted on our Job Board for 15 days
- Up to 3 Basic job postings per user per month
- Job posting is promoted to the "Featured Jobs" section at the top of our Job Board for 15 days, and then hosted on our Job Board for another 15 days (total 30 days)
- Job posting is included in our email newsletter
- Introductory rate!
- Job posting is promoted to the "Featured Jobs" section at the top of our Job Board for 20 days, and then hosted on our Job Board for another 30 days (total 50 days)
- Job posting is included at the top section of our email newsletter
- Job posting is shared on LinkedIn to 3,500+ in-house counsel
- Introductory rate!