Find or post jobs exclusively for in-house counsel, from junior legal counsel to GC's.
Find or post jobs exclusively for in-house counsel, from junior legal counsel to GC's
Director, Legal Affairs
🏢 Fairstone Bank
📍Montreal or Toronto
⏱ Posted: June 9, 2023
Job Description / Apply
Fairstone Financial Inc., a subsidiary of Fairstone Bank of Canada, are looking for a Director of Legal Affairs with relevant experience in corporate/commercial and banking law; you will be a key member and one of the leaders of the in-house legal team. Reporting to the Vice President, Legal and Corporate Affairs, your responsibilities will include negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements, as well as providing legal and strategic advice to the business units in respect of federal and provincial legislation relating to consumer lending, banking and finance, and privacy. You are a generalist by nature looking for the next big challenge and the ability to strategically advise and impact the business.
Core Job Functions:
- Providing legal support to, amongst others, operations, risk, finance, vendor management, marketing and Compliance teams.
- Advising and educating those same business units (and others) on all aspects of federal and provincial consumer lending laws and regulations, including privacy laws.
- Interpreting legislation impacting the business and/or cross-functional stakeholders and providing legal expertise in Fairstone’s implementation of legislative changes.
- Drafting and reviewing commercial contracts, including financial products distribution and services agreements, retail point-of-sale financing agreements, client-facing forms and disclosure reviews.
- Acting as a lead when representing Fairstone or Fairstone Bank in external negotiations.
- Managing external counsel support and delivery of advice in a cost-effective manner.
- Demonstrating strong analytical skills and capacity to synthesize complex issues and propose pragmatic solutions.
- Accountable for scheduled workload as well as other special projects and duties assigned by the Vice President, Legal and Corporate Affairs or by the Chief Legal Officer, including the potential management of a small team.
- Juris Doctor (JD) or Bachelor of Laws (LLB.) degree
- Licensed to practice law in Canada and a lawyer in good standing with a provincial law society
- 8-12 years of experience in (i) an in-house legal department or (ii) a combination of law firm and in-house legal department, preferably in the areas of banking, corporate or consumer finance
- Working knowledge and experience with federal and provincial consumer lending, credit card issuing, banking and finance, and privacy laws will be considered an asset.
- Confident leadership, business acumen, sound judgement, pragmatic problem-solving skills, familiarity with the regulatory environment and the ability to influence and build consensus in determining appropriate business plans, projects, products/services and strategic courses of action.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bilingualism (English and French), written and spoken, will be considered an asset.
- Highly motivated, energetic and enthusiastic self-starter and leader
⏱ Posted: June 6, 2023
Job Description / Apply
We are self-described "legal outliers." Our vision is to inspire and educate, provide value from beginning to end and create an environment where work enriches life, and life enriches work. We believe in "the sweat life" - sweat, relationships and personal development - and we live it every day.
We educate and collaborate in a fun and unique way, offering creative solutions to secure the future of our organization. Specifically, the Commercial function of the Legal Department provides strategic legal advice, negotiates, drafts and reviews contracts, and advises on the development of policies in support of departments across the organization, including Procurement, Sustainability, Strategic Sales, Store Development, Finance, Trade & Customs, Logistics, and Sourcing.
A day in the life
- Provide strategic support and legal advice to all levels of the business, with a special focus on wholesale, licensing, and distribution.
- Develop legal strategies and processes for lululemon’s wholesale and collegiate licensing program; manage relationships with colleges, licensing agencies, and retailers with regards to legal and compliance requirements.
- Provide fit-for-purpose competition advice to business partners, enabling the organization to act in compliance with competition law in day-to-day operations.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial contracts, including managing templates, renewals, and terminations.
- Implement legal processes required to protect the organization’s reputation and business interests.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization, identify applicable laws and keep abreast of legislative changes and requirements.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including Responsible Supply Chain, Finance, Insurance, Strategic Sales, and Sourcing.
- 3 - 7 years of legal experience as a practicing lawyer (prior in-house experience preferred, particularly with a brand or university/college).
- Demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating a high volume of commercial agreements.
- Experience in wholesale distribution, with emphasis on global manufacturing, marketing, and sale of products.
- Knowledge of competition law is an asset.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and excellent organizational skills. Good judgment with an understanding of when to ask for guidance or input.
- Excellent analytical, written, verbal, research, and communication skills.
- Ability to evaluate risk and manage competing priorities.
- Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life.
- Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
- Communicates with honesty and kindness and creates the space for others to do the same.
- Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrates fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take themselves too seriously.
Senior Legal Counsel
🏢 Arc'teryx Equipment
⏱ Posted: June 5, 2023
Job Description / Apply
As the Senior Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for providing legal advice, negotiating terms on behalf of Arc’teryx, and representing the organization in claims and litigations. You are a self-starter who excels as a thought-partner bringing structure, insights and clarity to complex problems converting them into actionable opportunities and recommendations. You are an individual that thrives in an environment driven by mission, agility, and high growth who can partner with and support our team in navigating complex legal and regulatory issues. Success in role is driven by collaboration, problem-solving, and practicality in partnership with all levels and functions at Arc’teryx.
This role is primarily based out of our North Vancouver office and is open to hybrid remote work. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
Meet Your Future Team:
The Senior Legal Counsel is a trusted partner to the business and leadership team in providing effective legal advice and guidance to support our operations, strategic initiatives and compliance efforts. The legal team advises senior leadership within the company in the areas of employment law, general liability, commercial litigation, and contract law. This is a senior level position that will have a dual reporting line into the brand Chief Financial Officer and the Amer Sports Group General Counsel. The position will be a member of the Arc’teryx Senior Leadership team.
If you were the Senior Legal Counsel now, here are some of the core activities you would be doing:
- Managing day-to-day legal affairs of Arc’teryx globally, with the support of Amer Sports global legal team and external law firms where needed.
- Being a trusted advisor to Arc’teryx leadership on legal topics.
- Training internal stakeholders on legal matters.
- Drafting, negotiating, reviewing, and advising on business related contracts, such as B2B and lease agreements.
- Providing legal advice to the business in intellectual property related matters.
- Providing legal advice in competition law / antitrust issues.
- Dealing with compliance and corporate governance related matters.
- Identifying and managing legal risks and co-operating with global risk management function.
- Conducting legal research, and apply with expertise
- Partnering with Amer Sports global legal team in several areas of law, such as corporate governance, data privacy, competition, compliance, and consumer protection.
- Participating actively in the development of Amer Sports legal affairs, e.g., in trainings, best practices, policies and guidelines.
- Managing claims, disputes, and litigations together with Amer Sports global legal team and external litigators where needed.
Are you our next Senior Legal Counsel?
- You have a JD or LL.M. degree with 7 to 10+ years of experience from a reputable law firm or as an inhouse counsel.
- You have experience in contract law, intellectual property rights, competition law and corporate law is expected.
- You demonstrate the ability to simultaneously manage numerous negotiations and projects consistent with the company’s objectives and requirements and meet deadlines.
- You ideally have experience working within a global legal environment
- You have demonstrated experience in analyzing and synthesizing complex matters concisely and clearly convey advice into easy-to-understand written communications for a wide range of colleagues across the company.
- You bring a business-oriented mindset and a proactive hands-on, can-do attitude.
- You have strong communication and presentation skills.
- You have the ability to work across different time zones to support our global nature
Legal Counsel (1 Year Contract)
🏢 Interac Corp.
⏱ Posted: June 1, 2023
Job Description / Apply
Our legal team is growing exponentially, and each role within the legal team will support unique business towers, such as: Technology & Operations, Digital ID, Product, Human Resources, Finance & Administration, Commercial, Products & Services, Partnerships & Client Solutions, Fraud Mitigation & Strategy, Enterprise Initiatives & External Affairs, and Marketing & Communications.
As a member of the Legal Counsel team at Interac Corp., you will be responsible for providing forward-thinking legal guidance and strategic risk analyses for Canada’s first FinTech, promoting innovation while protecting Interac’s reputation as one of the most trusted financial brands in Canada.
We are looking for lawyers with keen business judgment and a genuine interest in payment network and financial services to provide sophisticated advice on a broad range of technology contracting, outsourcing and third-party risk management activities. Interac lawyers handle complex issues, often in real time, to provide practical and actionable advice to an organization that continues to explore uncharted territory in financial services technology.
In this role, you will work collaboratively with a close-knit team of sharp, solution-oriented in-house lawyers on projects that challenge you to balance legal imperatives with the core business values, risk tolerance and enterprise strategy of a renowned financial services organization.
You’re great at…
- Working in a fast-paced business and technology environment, partnering with business units, and playing a key role in driving the company's products and services forward.
- Providing strategic and actionable legal advice on key portfolios in the business (and with emerging technology) to complete time sensitive projects while mitigating potential legal risks.
- Exercising business judgment to deliver practical and pragmatic solutions when the “right” legal answer is not crystal clear.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a diverse range of commercial contracts, including complex technology vendor agreements, service provider agreements, proof of concept agreements, letters of intent, software and evaluation license agreements (on premise and cloud), customer software development agreements, incentive agreements, sponsorship agreements, and consulting services agreements.
- Advising on operationalizing contracts in a complex, multi-vendor environment and proactively identifying and resolving associated legal issues.
- Working as a collaborative member of the Legal team, a mentor to junior lawyers and a resource for internal knowledge management and precedent development.
Who are you?
- A Law Degree and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Must be eligible to work for Interac Corp. in Canada in a Full Time Capacity.
- You possess 5-7 years practical post-call legal experience in both a corporate legal department and a law firm.
- Prior experience working for technology vendors, in financial services or the payment industry (preferred).
- Working knowledge of privacy, cybersecurity, Code of Conduct, CASL and other regulatory requirements applying to the financial services industry and payment network operators (preferred).
- Experience with financial services technologies, including mobile payments, digital banking, digital identification, verification and authentication and other electronic payments technologies, in addition to traditional payment systems and payment card network operators (preferred).
- Proven experience advising on a wide range of matters spanning from privacy, competition, intellectual property, technology, and licensing.
- A team player mindset, ready and willing to take on a variety of responsibilities and roles that support the team, department, and organization.
- Critical thinking with cogent analysis of legal and business issues
- You are adept at identifying, assessing, and managing legal and reputational risk.
- Proactivity with time management and project prioritization.
- A keen interest in the products, services, and interdependencies at Interac and in the payments ecosystem.
Skills That Will Set You Apart...
- Knowledge of the Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry in Canada and/or the Payment Clearing and Settlement Act.
- Experience with government and regulatory affair.
⏱ Posted: May 5, 2023
Job Description / Apply
The Transaction Counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions with responsibility for negotiating, writing, reviewing, summarizing, researching and executing a wide variety of agreements for Questrade. The Transaction Counsel will provide senior management with effective legal advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage legal risks, and oversee the work of supporting internal and outside counsel..
What’s it like working as a Transaction Counsel at Questrade?
As a member of our talented and high performing legal team, your responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal advice, guidance and support on IT and strategic initiatives, data governance, data quality management and other legal matters;
- Drafting, review and negotiation of a broad range of commercial agreements, including merger agreements, software-as-a-service (SaaS), software licensing, content licensing, marketing, sponsorship, confidentiality, professional services, and other agreements as required;
- Conducting due diligence on potential targets, reviewing and analyzing contracts, financial statements, and other relevant documents to identify any potential risks or liabilities associated with a proposed transaction.
- Review Privacy Impact Assessments for major initiatives and organizational changes
Need more details? Keep reading…
In this role, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
As the Transaction Counsel you will:
- Provide continuing counsel and guidance on all transactional matters.
- Provide support on all major business transactions including drafting, reviewing and modifying documents and contracts.
- Assisting with post-merger integration activities, including reviewing and negotiating contracts with suppliers and customers, and resolving any legal disputes that arise during the integration process.
- Coordinate with General Counsel to ensure compliance of all transactions with company policy, laws and regulations.
- Work alongside strategic business units, marketing, branding, sales, and human resources.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the company’s transactions by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes.
- Keep abreast of relevant legislative changes that may affect transactions involving the company and its affiliates.
- Identification of transaction issues requiring outside counsel support, and management of such support for cost-effective results.
- Provide day-to-day legal support to the General Counsel on all legal issues affecting the company.
So are YOU our next Transaction Counsel? You are if you…
- 5-7 years of relevant post-call experience;
- Hold a J.D and/or L.L.B, and are licensed to practice law;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills;
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks in a high-pressure environment;
- Sound legal and business judgment to provide practical solutions to complex privacy and data access issues;
- Highly developed negotiation skills and the ability to quickly get to the key issues and present persuasive legal positions;
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders;
- A demonstrated leadership style and work behaviours that align with our core cultural values;
- A sense of humor
Senior Legal Counsel
⏱ Posted: June 1, 2023
Job Description / Apply
Mogo is looking for a brilliant legal mind to join a passionate and disruptive fintech team committed to helping Canadians take control of their financial health. Reporting to the VP, Corporate & Legal Affairs, you’ll be a key member of the Department of “Know” and a trusted advisor to our broader team. Check out the requirements below and if this sounds like you, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do:
- Provide advice with respect to legal issues related to the development and implementation of our business strategy, compliance, governance policies, employment law, marketing and advertising, intellectual property, corporate and regulatory filings, corporate structure and other corporate issues as required
- Be responsible for the delivery of practical, timely and expert legal advice and guidance to the executive management team, heads of department and key internal and external stakeholders with respect to legal, risk and compliance issues related to the development and execution of Mogo's and its subsidiaries’ business strategy
- Counsel on both the legal and business ramifications of significant strategic imperatives, including mergers and acquisitions, investments and financings
- Understand the current regulatory environment impacting the financial sector and analyze proposed or new legislation and regulations, including by participating in consultations and industry associations
- Contribute as a legal subject matter expert to key product and growth initiatives as part of a cross-functional leadership team
What you’ll need:
- A law degree and practicing member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia or provincial equivalent (licensing with the Barreau du Quebec is a bonus; licensing with the Barreau and another Canadian law society is a double bonus). Areas of Law: consumer protection, investment management compliance, privacy, CASL, AML, employment law, intellectual property, marketing/competition law, commercial law, corporate and securities, etc.
- 8+ years post-call experience in corporate, securities and commercial law gained at a major law firm and/or in-house in a similiar industry
- Proven expertise in navigating complex partnerships, product offerings and regulatory environments
- Ability to excel in an incredibly fast-paced, high-growth, ever-evolving environment, adept at pivoting and adapting to change
- Experience identifying risks and providing creative solutions in a collaborative manner
- Keen eye for detail while being able to remain focused on the bigger picture
- Superb analytical and communication skills
- Strong drafting skills
- A sense of humour
- Something other than a suit
Bonus points for
- Experience in the financial services, payments, investment and/or wealth management industries domestically and globally
- Experience with acquisitions and securities transactions
- Regulatory experience
- Exposure to government relations
- Bilingual (French and English)
🏢 Open Farm
⏱ Posted: May 4, 2023
Job Description / Apply
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced business-minded lawyer to join our team. This will be the first hire in our legal department, so the successful candidate will have the opportunity to build and shape the legal and risk management functions of our organization.
As General Counsel, you will be responsible for overseeing all legal and risk management matters for the company, including but not limited to: corporate governance, negotiation and management of commercial agreements, management of Open Farm’s intellectual property portfolio (proactive and defense), employment law, litigation management, equity and debt financing, regulatory compliance, product liability and other risk management, as well as insurance.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will provide strategic advice to support our growth and success as we scale.
- Provide legal guidance and support to the Senior Leadership Team on a wide range of key strategic matters,
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure legal compliance and mitigate risk
- Draft and negotiate through to completion a broad range of contracts including those related to procurement, distribution, intellectual property, information technology, employment and finance
- Manage and protect the company's intellectual property
- Advise on legal aspects of debt and equity financing, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other strategic transactions
- Manage relationships with external legal counsel and oversee corporate and litigation matters as needed
- Develop and implement risk management strategies to identify, assess, and mitigate potential risks to the company
- Oversee the company's insurance program and ensure adequate coverage for all business operations
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards, including preserving all corporate records
- Build legal processes and structure to help manage the scalability of the business as we continue to grow
What you bring to the table:
- Recognized Canadian law degree (Juris Doctorate) and university education with high standing
- Lawyer in good standing with a provincial law society, Ontario preferred
- 8+ years post call, with experience in general counsel or senior legal leadership role, with experience in corporate law, contract negotiation and management, intellectual property, employment law, risk management and insurance. U.S law experience also considered an asset
- Significant corporate and commercial legal experience ideally with experience in a CPG environment
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, labor law, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Providing business-oriented and practical legal advice
- Communicating with others, with a knack for translating legal advice into actionable guidance to business teams in plain English
- Being a team player with a strong orientation toward a collaborative, results-oriented environmentHigh degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- First class interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative and follow through reliably, while challenging the status quo, taking smart risks and being open to possible failure
- A drive to proactively seek out opportunities to help move projects and the business forward and contribute to improvement
How to post a job in under a minute
1. Enter the job description (or URL if posted elsewhere), and checkout
2. We will review your submission, and post the job within 24 hours!
$199 (free for members)
- Your job posting will be hosted on our Job Board for 30 days